The Leven SCUBA Club is a non
profit incorporated association with elected committee members.
The committee positions are:
- Vice President
- Media Officer
- Equipment Officer
- 4 Directors
General meetings are held at 7:30 PM on the 1st Thursday
of each month (except for public holidays) They are currently
held at the Mersey Yacht Club - Anchor Dr East Devonport. New
members and guests are welcome to attend, simply ring or send
an email beforehand. There are 3 membership categories:
- Standard Member - Able to participate in all club actvities,
sit on the committee & vote.
- Family Member - Same as standard member but includes 2 or
more family members
- Full Member - Entitled to unlimited air fills from the clubs
own compressor and use of hire tanks.
Current membership fees are listed on the Membership Application
Form which can be downloaded as a PDF document:
Leven SCUBA Club Membership Application Form. PDF
The club does not conduct diver training or instruction,
neither does it service dive equipment. New members wanting
to learn to dive will need to complete a recognised open water
course either through a dive centre or qualified instructor.
Old hands in the club will of course pass on their experience
and knowledge to newcomers. Barbeques and club functions tend
to have lots of experience and knowledge passed around, much
of it of dubious merit!
For safety and comfort, diving members should own or have access
to the following dive gear in good servicable condition:
- Thermal body protection ie wetsuit or drysuit, appropriate
to the climate and diving conditions including a hood, gloves
- Mask, Snorkel and Fins
- Buoyancy Control Device with 2 independant means of inflation.
- An approved divers belt with weights or integrated weight
- A first stage regulator with the following attachments:
- A primary second stage or demand valve
- An alternate air source second stage (occy)
- A high pressure tank contents guage, a depth guage or
these two components combined into a console or wrist
- A dive computer and or divers watch or bottom timer
- A SCUBA tank in date test.
Highly desirable items also include a divers knife, compass,
underwater torch or light, surface marker buoy (Safety Sausage)
and if intending fishing for lobster, abalone or scallops; an
up to date fishing licence and measuring devices.
Members who wish to fill their own tanks will need to be instructed
in the safe use of the compressor and correct tank filling procedure
by the Maintenance officer.
The club, may from time to time invite members to participate
in away trips, independantly run courses or social functions
which can incur additional expenses.
We're not just about diving, after all there's
plenty of other club activities to keep us busy. The primary
goal is to have fun, whether that be on a local dive or away
trip, performing equipment maintenance or participating in the
running of the club, attending a club dinner, barbeque or presentation
night, you name it, there's something for everyone.